Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Green Tip #31: Ditch Those iPod Touches!

Hey everyone! Sorry I almost didn't get to this today. It's been a very busy day for me. So anyway I thought I'd get a short one out before midnight strikes and it's technically Wednesday.

So I was thinking about how happy I am that CD's are fading out and being replaced with mp3 players. And the reason for this is several fold. First of all: less CD production and shipping. If there is not physical object that is being manufactured and transported, then there is less strain on the environment in general. Second, if there is no object sitting in the stores, ultimately the stores will end up shrinking by a degree. For example, imagine a Best Buy store, then imagine what would happen if you took the CD section out of it. (And to a related degree, the video game section and the DVD section will someday fall by the wayside (probably a few years later)) And if you read Green Tip #29, you'll know that big stores are worse than little stores.

So CD's = bad for the environment. That's established. But are mp3's that much better? Well, yes and no. I mean, they do use more electricity. But if you go with the iPod shuffle (the one without the screen) then you can use a whole lot less electricity than if you have one with a touch screen and all that fancy stuff. (Again I put in the disclaimer that I'm only singling out iPods because they're the most common. You can use any other mp3 player in this example)

So ditch those mp3 players with the screens! You don't need to know what the song that's playing is called, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment