Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Green Tip #25: Be Illiterate

Hey everyone, sorry for the post so late in the day on Tuesday. I was having a hard time getting motivated. And I'd rather give you a good post later in the day than a thrown together post up in time for you to read during the day.

So, as you can see from the title of this post, I'm entirely sure that all of you reading this are not doing a good job of following Green Tip #25. Before I get into scolding you for not following my advice, let me explain the logic behind this tip.

Okay, here's the chain of logic that I followed. I was trying to think of some way of reducing the amount of paper that people use. Everything I was coming up with (Don't use the restroom to avoid using toilet paper, don't go to school to avoid getting handouts and textbooks, don't have a job to avoid getting paper money, etc.) didn't seem to accomplish the goal on a grand enough scheme. So then I started going deeper. Almost philosophical about paper, really. What is the purpose of paper? Why does paper even exist in the first place? And I came up with the conclusion that paper is mostly used to share and store information mostly in the form of text.

So following that train of thought I came to the realization that all forms of information sharing, from little slips of paper they use for fortunes in fortune cookies to the energy used on computer screen that reading this blog uses, puts some strain on the earth's natural resources.

So stop sharing information. Unless you're just talking to someone or using sign language, you shouldn't be sharing information without feeling a deep horrible feeling of guilt for sucking the earth dry. Now, I know that you can't unlearn the ability to read, but just try it for a while. I'm sure if you don't read anything for a few years, you'll start to forget things.

Now, I know I'm being sort of conceited by saying this, but just think... this Green Tip is going to be the last thing that you will ever read.

Stay strong, Mother Nature will thank you in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment