Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Green Tip #95: Automatic Doors are Opening to a World of Obesity

First off, let me just assure you that I'm not done with my Disney Green Tips for those of you that were worried. I just needed to take a break so I could talk about an issue that is of urgent importance. I'll be back to Disney World! on Friday with the next Green Tip.

One of the topics that I've mentioned on several occasions before was the topic of obesity and its effects on the environment. (See: Green Tip #45) I've heard some conflicting things about weight's effect on the environment. One camp says that overweight people use more resources, such as more gas to drive around and more food to feed their larger appetites. The other camp says they've got more health problems and will probably die sooner, thus using less resources in their shorter lives.

I'm not here to judge on which way is probably more true. I'm here to talk about something that overweight people are putting a pretty big strain on.

Our electrical grid.

(If you were thinking 'chairs,' shame on you... That's just insensitive!)

One of the things that I have always wondered is what's so hard about pushing open doors? Is your arm really that tired that you can't lift it up and have to use our precious electricity to open your automatic doors? I guess if you're overweight and your arm weighs too much that might be the case. But did you ever think that maybe that little bit of exercise that you're missing out on might be making you fat?

According to about.com, automatic doors were first installed around 1960. And I also found this chart from Wikipedia about obesity:


This blatant maiming of the principles of statistics clearly show that as automatic doors became more prevalent, the obesity rates among children increased many times over. It's obvious that automatic doors are causing our children (who have now grown up to be adults) to become obese.

So please, let's just forget about those automatic doors. They're like straws that use electricity. In other words, horrible. Ditching those automatic doors would save us all the debate about whether being fat is good or bad for the environment. Do it for our children...

No comments:

Post a Comment