Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Green Tip #3: Imported Lighting

As most people in the world will know by know, outsourcing is something that is being used more and more by companies. In case you are one of 0.1% of the world's population that hasn't been affected by outsourcing in one way or another (sorry North Korea, you're just holding yourself back at this point), outsourcing is a company that says something like "hey, I'm a car company, I should be making cars, not worrying about making screws. I'll have some Chinese company make screws for me." And for the last few decades, that has worked really well for companies. (Until the car company goes bankrupt and is eventually bought out by the Chinese screw company)

So typically in the US and Europe and other richer companies lose quite a few jobs to these other countries. And while it is true we do like those fun little toys that go in our kids' Happy Meals, I think many people in this country will agree that China and India sort of owe us something for all those jobs we've given them. And I know exactly what you're thinking: "Seriously, when is he getting to the green tip of the day?" Oh really? Is that what you're thinking? I'm so sorry, I got so carried away with the whole China thing.

Green stuff, right! Right now, as I write this, I look outside my window and I can't see anything. That's because it's night and I need electricity to be able to see stuff that's going on in my apartment. But meanwhile, guess what's happening in China? They're probably out there sunbathing, those lucky job-stealing screw makers. Sorry, car makers by now.

Here's what I propose. Instead of us wasting our precious energy to light up our houses, how about we set up a large series of mirror that encircle the globe and direct sunlight across the Pacific Ocean to us here in the US during our nighttime. We can have sunlight 24 hours a day! Ah, think how nice it will be not to even need headlights on our cars or have to deal with those know-it-all astronomers who want our tax dollars to study space dust.

Oh what a glorious world we'll live in. Wait, shoot... we already outsourced all of our mirror makers to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment