Friday, May 22, 2009

Introduction to The Impractical Green Resource

In today's socially and environmentally conscious world, people are more and more finding that they want to do what's best for the planet and ultimately our society. However, with the rules constantly changing, it can often be difficult to know whether your actions are truly leading us to some Utopian carbon-neutral future or if you're simply a misinformed but highly opinionated moron who is in fact burning through our Earth's precious resources faster than a kid going through his chocolate rabbits and jelly beans on Easter morning. So in some ways, "Going Green" is sort of like the fashion industry. You have to keep up to date about what is in style (apparently French things) and what is not in style anymore (i.e. Crocs (ugh...)). Similarly, you need to know that wind power is currently in while corn-based ethanol is currently out just in case you are having a conversation with an eco-nerd and you don't want to offend them by suggesting that your town would benefit from an ethanol refinery.

This is where The Impractical Green Resource comes in. As a self-proclaimed eco-nerd, I would say that I have a fairly good grasp on what this Summer's hottest trends are in the Green world. (Also, environmentally conscious research is paying for me to go to grad school at the University of Toledo, so I am almost contractually obligated to talk it up a bit (yay free tuition! ... and green living, of course)). So I decided that I would create the not-quite-daily updated Impractical Green Resource. Not so much that I could enlighten everyone on current trends in environmentally conscious living. After all, I'd rather keep the information to myself so I can win an arguement if ever I end up having a conversation with you.

No, The IGR is more of a way to poke fun at the crazy ideas that people have come up with over the years on how to reduce their carbon footprint. Note that I do not in any way endorse doing any of these, as many of them will turn out to be illegal, immoral, or simply impractical. Just know that I probably do some of them already. (after all, where do you think my ideas come from??)

So please, enjoy yourself and remember to stay green!

The Green Rebel

No comments:

Post a Comment