Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Special Green Tip #50: Green Football

It gives me great pleasure to be able to bring to you two very special things in this very blog entry. First of all, it's the Fiftieth Green Tip! It seems like just yesterday that I was telling everyone that they should hitchhike so they don't breathe out as much carbon dioxide. Oh, those were the good ole days.

And secondly, it's the fourth part of my four part series on how to celebrate Thanksgiving in a Green way! Today I'll be talking about one of America's great pastimes: football. Now, football as a sport is not necessarily a Brown activity. Yes, it's true that the ball is usually leather and leather making is not necessarily the most environmentally process, but I'd be willing to overlook that for today. No, I'm not here to try to fix the sport. After all, it does encourage open green spaces that use real grass (at the high school level) and I can't complain about more grass being planted.

No, what Green Tip #50 deals with is the much less active activity of watching football. It's no secret that TV's use electricity (if that is news to you, we need to sit down and have a long talk). Sometimes they use too much electricity, some lawmakers in California have even said by passing a law putting efficiency limits on TV's in the state. When you consider how long some football games go, the amount of electricity that's being used can really add up. And think about how many times you've fallen asleep during a particularly boring game after eating way too much turkey. That's another few hours of the TV being on.

So what are your options? I mean, you can't miss the big game, can you?? No! And it's just not the same watching the scores update on your computer (like I'm doing with the Toledo-Bowling Green game. Go Rockets!) And radios are so 40 years ago. Next time you want to watch the big game, here's what you do. Go dust off that old hand crank powered radio and get 22 of your best friends together and have them reenact the game as it's going. It shouldn't be too hard for them. And besides, if you're a Cleveland Browns fan, your friends will probably be better players than your favorite professional players. (Sorry, I know taking shots at a team that is 1-9 right now is a little cheap. But they lost to the Detroit Lions. The Lions!)

Anyway, this one's a bit short because I'm still worn out from my early morning shopping. I'll be back to my regular Tuesday-Friday schedule starting next week. And hopefully you enjoyed the double dose of Green Tips because I'll probably do this again around Christmastime. Have a safe trip home! (Or not if you decided to stay in and spend the holidays with your robot clone family.)

No comments:

Post a Comment