Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Green Tip #41: 5 Reasons Facebook is Good For the Environment

Ah, yes... Good ol' Facebook. Never before have I seen a website that has gained so much negative press and yet has become an integral part almost everyone's lives that have signed up for it. And although Facebook might have attracted negative attention for needlessly changing layouts and stealing private information and causing lower grades among college students, I'd like to talk about 5 reasons why Facebook is ultimately good for the environment. I know, it might seem like a shameless way to promote the all new Impractical Green Resource Facebook Page and the reason for that is it is a shameless promotion for it. No seriously, check it out. Search for Impractical Green Resource on Facebook. After you're done reading this Green Tip, of course...

Anyway...

5 Reasons Why Facebook is Good For the Environment:

1) It Saves Transportation Costs
Think back to a time pre-2004 (when Facebook launched). Ah yes, I remember it like it was just yesterday. So let's say you hadn't seen a friend in a while. What's the first thing that you'd want to do? Well, back then, you'd call them up or send them an IM (not a text) and ask if they'd want to get together and get coffee or play a game or something. Fast forward 5ish years to today and now, instead of driving your car to their place or the coffee shop, all you have to do is hop on your computer (not literally) and invite them to play a game of Bowling Buddies or Lexulous. Saves both of you gas and you can still get that fix for social interaction that all of need from time to time.

2) It Saves Paper
Actually, this one is sort of funny, because I literally just did this which gave me the idea for this point. One of my friends has a birthday today (Happy Birthday Kristyn!) and instead of wasting a perfectly good tree to get her a card, I just posted a message on her wall. There's no way I can be considered cheap or inconsiderate for not getting her a card; I wrote on her wall, after all! Similarly, if you're really cheap, you can get them a Facebook gift, which uses no natural resources at all! Yay for celebrating Green birthdays!

3) It Reduces Propellant Use
Now, I am aware that aerosol spray cans phased out CFC's around 20 years ago, so there should be no worries about spray paint adding to the hole in the ozone layer (what ever happened to that, by the way? I can only assume it's gotten better or we'd still be hearing about that). But I also know that spray paint uses chemicals which really shouldn't be ending up in runoff into our streams and lakes. Well, now that Facebook is around, those of you with uncontrollable urges to graffiti things now have an environmentally (and criminally) safe way to vent your desires. You can write on people's walls! Think about what that literally means. Write. On. Their. Walls. Now, if I went to my friend's apartment and started writing on their walls with spray paint, they'd be pretty darn mad at me. And probably un-friend me on Facebook.

4) It Teaches Us About Caring For the Environment
Farmville. I can't say I use it, but I do know it's popular to a lot of people. Great job, Facebook! If the people that are addicted to Farmville are as addicted as I gather they are, it's only a matter of time until they start planting trees and vegetables in their own yards, thinking that they're still playing the game. More trees = less CO2 in the atmosphere, and that's really what we're going for with the Green Movement. And finally...

5) It Saves Ink
Ah, yes... (I already said that...) One of the things that Facebook is especially known for is the embarrassing pictures of drunken parties that end up being posted there. Now, pre-Facebook, if your friend, co-worker, significant other, brother, sister, mother, grandmother (heaven forbid...) gets drunk and starts making a fool of themselves, you'd take pictures and then have to go get the film developed or the digital photos printed at a store somewhere. Because, you have to show everyone else you know, right? That means multiple copies so everyone can have one. Ugh, that wastes so much paper and printer ink. Isn't is so much more environmentally friendly just to post them on Facebook so everyone else can easily see them? Remember to think of how many trees and... ink... bushes? you'll be saving next time you're uploading pictures of your friend passed out in his or her bathroom.

Well, there you have it. Facebook is pretty darn good for the environment. Who knew? With your new-found appreciation for the site, I'd suggest you go check it out. I'd start by searching for Impractical Green Resource. Become a fan, of course!

1 comment: