Friday, April 16, 2010

Green Tip #87: I've Got My Eyes On You...

Dear Readers... This doesn't happen very often, but I'm seriously disappointed in all of you. I gave you a simple task (move away from California) and you throw it back in my face, making things even worse than they already are. I really thought that after all this time you would understand that it's not what I'm saying that's important, it's the root cause of the problem that I'm trying to get at. But you clearly don't understand.

I read a disturbing article earlier this week that claims that The Devil Incarnate might have a twin. Yes, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (the bane of my existence) is not the only Great Oceanic Garbage Patch out there, lurking in the murky depths of our bordering oceans. Apparently scientists found that there is now a Great Atlantic Garbage Patch (GAG-P for short) made up of tiny bits of plastic floating just below the surface of the North Atlantic.

Here's where I get to the part where I give you The Lecture. Back in Green Tip #17, I told you to move away from California so you wouldn't be tempted to hurl your plastic junk into the ocean. (I know most plastic junk comes from China and Japan and maybe you just wanted to throw it in the Pacific Ocean to send it back to where it came from so they could make more plastic junk, but let me tell you... it doesn't work like that.) I didn't imply that you should move across the country just to hurl your plastic junk in the Atlantic! (Besides, how do you think it's going to get to China when Europe is in the way??)

Sigh... who am I kidding? I can't stay mad at you... It was a rookie mistake made last summer before you had learned all these wonderful Green Tips. And I guess I have to do what I always do and look on the bright side of things. This new finding may be just what we need in terms of good PR to fight global warming. After all these years we can finally clear the name of icebergs. You see, it was probably the GAG-P that sunk the Titanic back in 1912 and not an iceberg. Yes, all these years we've been wrongfully accusing icebergs of this heinous crime and ever since then we've been doing everything we can to eliminate them through Global Warming. No more polluting, I say!

Now, I know what you're thinking (maybe). "How could the GAG-P (made of plastic) be around 40 or more years before plastic was popular?" Remember what they say, "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was to convince the world that he didn't exist." GAG-P was around then, it just convinced everyone that it wasn't.

So there you have it. Oh wait, I never really gave you a Green Tip #87. Um... don't throw plastic junk in any ocean. You don't know how mad I'd be if I hear about some Great Indian Garbage Patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment