Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Green Tip #84: Hold It

Honestly, I can't believe that I haven't thought of this one sooner. Considering how much I talk about the subject, it's frankly quite amazing that this one wouldn't come up until the 84th Green Tip.

Those of you who are regular readers know that one of the subjects that I bring up very often is how you should manage your restroom use. Just recently I talked about how and when you should take showers and I'm realizing that I've talked about bathroom use so often that I've created a contradiction. In Green Tip #24, I mentioned how some people think that peeing in the shower can save water use but I also talked about how you should stop taking showers in Green Tip #19, so what are people to do? If you never take showers, when are you supposed to pee? It's not like you can just hold it for the rest of your life.

Or can you......

No, that's not what Green Tip #84 is about. The second to last thing I want people to have is urinary tract infections (the last being SUVs, of course). But Green Tip #84 is about holding it, just not forever. Think about this, if everyone went from peeing 6 times a day to 5 times a day, that would be 300,000,000 people x 1.6 gallons gallons per flush = 480,000,000 gallons per day just in the US that would be saved. To put that in context, that's how much water a person uses in about 16,438 years. This also comes out to around 1473 acre-feet if you need to think of it that way.

So yeah, sorry about getting all mathematical on you. It seems to happen when I'm talking about restroom use... Just remember to take one for the team and hold it for just a teeny little bit longer. It's either this or start employing the "If it's yellow let it mellow..." rule and who really wants to deal with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment