Friday, October 30, 2009

Green Tip #40: Happy Halloween!

Ah, yes, it's that time of year again... The time of year when the leaves start changing and there's a cold chill in the air. The smell of wet leaves and bonfires mingle with the tastes of crisp apple cider and sweet pumpkin pie. Yes, it's Fall, and with Fall comes one of the most exciting holidays of the year.

Halloween!

Yes, in just one short day, we'll all be dressing up as our favorite superheroes, or our favorite celebrities, or our favorite vampires from teen drama movies/books series and going trick-or-treating begging for yummy treats from strangers. And although this now much commercialized holiday is a time for merriment and sugar comas, the holiday started off with much different origins. Yes, this holiday has its origins as a time to ward off evil spirits.

But when looked at from a Green perspective, do we really want to ward off evil spirits? The answer is yes... and no... Green Tip #40 is a two part Green Tip.

(For Warm Weather Readers)
If you live in a warmer climate, what you're going to want to do is get your house possessed by a ghost. Now, I'm certainly no expert in how you're supposed to get around to doing this, but I do know that on TV and movies and books and stuff, the people living in a haunted house always feel a cold chill when there's an evil spirit present. I saw this on a ghost hunting show and the first thing I thought was "Man, that would save a lot of money on my A/C costs during the summer." And while I have no idea if ghosts use spiritual energy efficient ways to bring a chill to the house, I do know that ghosts are regular energy efficient. And trust me, California, you could use to be more energy efficient...

(For Cold Weather Readers)
Now, obviously, the first thing you want to do is to have your house exorcised of any demonic forces that might chill your already drafty, cold house. And I have just the thing to help with that.

You need to hold lots of seances. And why is that? Because seances use lots of candles. And while I'm not saying that candles are necessarily energy efficient ways to light your house, they can serve a double purpose. Because colder climates also get darker earlier during the winter, and you could use all the lighting you can handle.

Well, there you have it... this doesn't need to be done during Halloween necessarily, but I was just reminded of this because of all the Halloween festivities that are going on.

On a side note, make sure you keep this in mind if you're about to die. I mean, when I become a ghost, I know for sure that I'll be heading off to somewhere warmer. Whoever owns the place I end up haunting will thank me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment