Friday, August 21, 2009

Green Tip #22: For Guys Only

Sorry. This tip's not going to be applicable to half of the world's population. It's not that I'm sexist or anything. It's just... well... not something that can work for women. But don't worry! I'll come up with something next time that only women can take advantage of. You know, the whole equal rights and opportunities thing.

But anyway, this came to me one day when I was out taking care of errands and I was ready to go back to my apartment. I don't want to get too specific and graphic here, but I had to use the restroom and I debated when I should go: while I was out or wait and go back to my place. After only about 30 or 40 minutes of internal debate (I'm kidding, it was only a few seconds of debate) I concluded to go while I was out, but mostly because it would be a toilet that I didn't have to clean.

I know, it's a selfish reason, but I got to thinking about it more and realized that I was being more environmentally friendly by using the facilities while I was out compared to my apartment. And the reason for that is that urinals use less water per flush than a conventional toilet. In fact, they even make waterless urinals which are great for the environment.

So basically I'm saying to always use the restroom when you're out as opposed to waiting until you get back. Actually, if you want to go even a step further, you should spend as much time away from your house as possible. An easy way to accomplish this is by spending all your time at work, assuming your work has urinals. Think about it. You save water, you save gas from never driving home, and you can earn lots of overtime!

Anyway, it's not the best Green Tip, but think about it guys next time you use a urinal. One simple flush can save the environment, maybe just a little bit at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment