Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Green Tip #23: For Women Only

Hey, don't think that I forgot about the women readers out there. I mean, it would be hardly fair to give out green tips to men and not have one for the women. And remember guys, just because this is written for women doesn't mean that you don't have to pay attention. Think about this next time it's your anniversary or your wife or girlfriend or mother's birthday. And unfortunately, because we're guys, I'm sure some of you out there were just reminded that one of these events is tomorrow or was last week and you're thinking "oh shoot! I forgot to get her something!!" Don't worry, I've got you covered.

So one thing that I've seemed to notice over the years is that many women tend to amass vast collections of shoes. I know, it might sound like I'm being stereotypical, but if it bothers you that much, I'd be more than happy to conduct a survey and prove scientifically that you're making a big deal out of nothing.

So, back to shoes. What many people don't realize is that shoe-making is quite a Brown (not Green) operation. There is the issue of where the material comes from (cows for leather, rubber trees, glue trees, plastic um.... trees?) and how much of a strain that puts on the environment. Also there is a lot of water that's used and electricity to run the machines. So use less automation, right? Nope, companies tried that in the 90's and got in BIG trouble for using child labor. So what is the environmentally conscious woman to do to satisfy her urge to have a lot of shoes?

I'm not going to say don't buy as many shoes.... directly. I mean, I'm not going to be the one to tell my girlfriend that she only needs a few pairs and that she can make them work for all different outfits. Here's what I suggest instead. And pay close attention, because I don't think I'll ever endorse this product again, but buy many cans of spray paint in all different colors.

Ugh, spray paint with it's chemicals and propellants. Blech! But it's better than buying a lot of shoes. Women, simply find 3 or 4 pairs that you really like for the style of them, then just mix and match with different spray paint colors.

And guys, do the math, a six pack of spray paint costs around $25. So let's say you buy 12 colors. That's $50. 12 colors times 4 pairs of shoes = 48 different shoe varieties. $5 for 48 pairs of shoes? That's a deal not even most guys could pass up.

(note: the author of this post is not responsible for any negative reactions to gifts given based on the advice of The Impractical Green Resource. Do not attempt to contact the author regarding canceled wedding plans, break ups, or evictions. In the event of a break up or eviction, please consult Green Tips #19 and #13, respectively)

No comments:

Post a Comment