Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Green Tip #80: Go to the Library

Haha, talk about the two extremes! Now that you've sobered up from your night out at the bar, I think it's time to head over to the library. But I want to warn you, I think the virus of practicality is continuing to infect the Impractical Green Resource. So I'm going to give you a bonus. First I'll give you a practical green tip followed by what I think you came here for: an Impractical Green Tip. Specifically Green Tip #80.

Something that I'm actually really really surprised that I haven't seen is the suggestion that you should use the library to cut back on your environmental footprint. I've looked at plenty of green tip lists and websites (so I know what themes to play off of and make fun of) and I'm surprised that I have never seen anyone say that going to the library is the way to go. I mean, think about it. I'm not crazy for thinking that it's a waste of paper to buy a book that you'll probably never read again, am I? Go dig out that library card that you might not have seen in 10 years and go crazy. I mean go crazy in a quiet way that won't disturb everyone else in the library, of course...

But this makes way too much sense to be placed within the ranks of the profoundly ground breaking yet environmentally conscious 78 Green Tips that have come before this one. (I'm not counting Green Tip #75). No, I want to share with you Green Tip #80: Go to the Same Library.

Wow. I know, so profound, right? You're probably thinking to yourself that I've finally gotten to the point where I've run out of ideas and I'm just circling the drain at this point. Well I'm here to tell you that you're way off. I ran out of ideas back at Green Tip #11 and I'm still going strong 69 Green Tips later.

So let me explain about this going to the same library thing. If you live in a large metropolitan area (such as Cleveland or Nepal or anywhere but California), you probably have your choice of multiple libraries to go to. Sometimes it can be hard to chose which one to go to. While I really don't care how you choose your favorite library (I'd go with the closest one and save gas) but just stick with it. If you start borrowing books and movies from one library and take them back to another, someone has to drive those books and movies from one library to the other one. And that wastes gas. And time out of the librarians' schedules. (Not so much of an environmental benefit but a common courtesy.)

Enjoy yourself! Just don't spend so much time reading library books that you don't have time to read the IGR on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment