Friday, July 31, 2009

Green Tip #16: Direct Airline Travel

I'm currently running on borrowed Internet here (following my own advice!) so this will just be a Green Quick Tip. A lot of the time, you hear about people that want offset the carbon that they create when they fly by purchasing carbon credits. That's alright, I guess, but let me suggest one even better. If you were to fly from two major cities, let's say Detroit to New York, there isn't much of a problem going from airport to airport. But what if you want to fly from Detroit to Birdsall, New York (population 268), you would have to fly to the Buffalo airport (assuming you can fly from Detroit to Buffalo without layovers) and drive to Birdsall. And assuming that you are driving anything less fuel efficient than an electric car, your carbon footprint will be huge!

Instead, I propose that airlines provide direct to destination flights via parachuting to your destination. So instead of flying into Buffalo and driving, you could take the Detroit to New York City flight and just hop out when you need to get off.

Now if only there were a way for the plane to pick you up on the way back.... I guess I forgot to figure that part out...

No comments:

Post a Comment